Now, how about meeting me?

Posted on | March 16, 2012 | 19 Comments

You’ve followed me for awhile, or maybe you only stumbled upon my blog yesterday. You’ve gone to college with me, or perhaps we “met” on a forum a couple years ago while talking about babies. You’ve met my boys, or perhaps you’ve watched them grow up through pictures and my words on the screen.

But do you really know me?

Considering the fact that I feel like I’m constantly learning more about myself and changing daily, I’m not sure if I really know me. But there are some things about me that have stayed the same or grown stronger and become a deeper part of my personality as I age. Since I’ve introduced you to a side of my boys’ personalities that I don’t always mention, I thought I’d let you know a little bit about myself. Some of these things I may have hinted to and some you may already know. None of it’s deep or terribly important. You’ll probably wonder why I’m sharing it. But these are integral parts of me that I feel like my friends should know. You’re my friend, right?

Okay, here we go.

1) I have four tattoos. I got one almost the same day I turned eighteen. It’s a celtic shamrock in green on my lower back. My reasoning? “I’ll always be Irish!” I know. The brilliance of an eighteen-year-old who knows everything. I forget about it most of the time, but every once in awhile, I catch a glimpse in the mirror and have to smile at my youth. The others in the collection include my wedding date in roman numerals on my rib cage (Taylor and I got them on our honeymoon in Orlando at a sketchy tattoo parlor. Our “artist” drank PBR and told bar stories the entire time. Best night of my life), a quote from on of my favorite songs (Taylor and I got different quotes from the same song during R&R), and a small cross on the back of my neck. I share the cross tattoo with my sister and mama, and we got them in memory of my Aunt Sharon. I love all of them, and I have plans for two tiny birds on my wrist for my babies.

2) I’m a history major which means I’m completely unmarketable unless I become a teacher. I have no plans to teach. This is an issue.

3) Taylor and I “met” on Facebook. He friended me (along with every other incoming Freshman he thought was cute), and I fell in love with him immediately. He still has the message I sent him to introduce myself. I was totally smitten.

4) I have an addictive personality. It’s true. Luckily, I’ve focused those addictions on things like Cloth Diapers, Pyrex, and Diet Coke. But I tend to get kind of “fixated” on things. My whole family knows and makes fun of me for it.

5) I always wanted four kids. But then I had two. And now three sounds kind of scary. But I will admit, I’m not ready to close the door yet. Maybe someday we’ll consider a third.

6) My favorite movie is “Fight Club.”

7) My favorite quote is, “Love, love, love, what more is there?”-DMB

8 ) My favorite Bible passage is Tobit 8: 5-7

Blessed are you, O God of our fathers; praised be your name forever and ever. Let the heavens and all your creation praise you forever. You made Adam and you gave him his wife Eve to be his help and support; and from these two the human race descended. You said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone; let us make him a partner like himself.’ Now, Lord, you know that I take this wife of mine not because of lust, but for a noble purpose. Call down your mercy on me and on her, and allow us to live together to a happy old age.’

We had it read at our wedding.

9) Our first dance was “I Will” by Blackhawk.

10) The Wizard of Oz will always hold a special place in my heart. My first dog was named Dorothy. My daddy and I danced to “Somewhere Over the Rainbow/It’s a Wonderful World” by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole at my wedding. (Ignore the weird video, but here’s the song)

11) I placed at the American Saddlebred World Championships Horse Show when I was in high school.

12) I’m “Sal” to my friends and family.

13) Writing is my therapy. Without it, I would go crazy.

14) I was born in Missouri. But South Carolina is home. Always. It didn’t used to be important to me to be close to home. As my family has grown with my children and as I have lost several loved ones, being near those we love seems so much more important now.

15) Loyalty is so incredibly important to me. It is one of the top traits all of my friends share in common. Without it, there is no trust.

16) I am Type-A to a tee. It even annoys me how ridiculous I am sometimes.

So there you go. Little pieces of me. Care to share something about yourself so I don’t feel alone?

Comments

19 Responses to “Now, how about meeting me?”

1. erica
    March 16th, 2012 @ 11:07 am

Cooking is theraputic to me. I also like to be the only person in the kitchen when I’m cooking. I like to be left alone to concentrate and get lost in my thoughts.

Sally Reply:

ME TOO! I hate it when people crowd me in the kitchen.

2. Jill
    March 16th, 2012 @ 11:28 am

here I thought you wanted people to visit. and OMG you’re a missouri girl? do you ever come back. please say yes.. pleeease? lol.

this is actually quite interesting. and I almost spit coffee out at the horse show thing. wow. just wow.

Sally Reply:

I don’t, honestly. I think the last time was five years ago? But, I do have several family memebers who still live there, and I would love to make the time to see them. So if I ever make it that way, I’ll let you know!

3. Beth Anne
    March 16th, 2012 @ 11:38 am

sigh. & here I was thinking you were going to invite me to your new casa for a girl & tots weekend.

Sally Reply:

You are ALWAYS invited, BA ;)

4. Verna
    March 16th, 2012 @ 11:45 am

Love it! Thanks for sharing!

5. Layne
    March 16th, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

I LOVE that you love Fight Club. Its not my favorite movie (Pulp Fiction is) but it’s up there. In face recently Chad and I made my mom watch it….she had no clue what it was in for. Anytime Chad and I hatch a plan for something (even silly little things) we call it Project Mayhem.

Sally Reply:

Oh, that is way too cute, Layne! Pulp Fiction is amazing. I love it as well.

6. Katie
    March 16th, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

My mom comes from a long tradition of horse-back riders even though she was raised in Southern California (in the city). Her Dad lived in the Valley in Central California and because her parents were divorced, they had horses in both locations. Anyway, I’m the 4th of 6 kids and I’d say I have a bit of an obsessive personality too. I was a cross-country and track runner and soccer player in high school and was the top female runner at my school and the school’s “Scholar Athlete”. But, I got my bachelor’s in Sociology, which also is somewhat un-marketable. :) Like you, I graduated college early in just 3 years. I regret not studying nursing. I think I would have loved being a labor and delivery nurse. Now, I’m a stay-at-home mom expecting my second son too. My husband is a high school English teacher (which means we certainly won’t be rich) and I’m torn between wanting a large family like the one I grew up in and a much smaller one because I’m only pregnant with #2 and it’s already tiring! I’d love to travel (I’ve never been out of the country OR to the East Coast) and dream of retiring in San Diego, CA (or maybe the mountains of Montana? haha)

Sally Reply:

I’m with you. I wish I had studied nursing as well. I rarely meet someone who graduated early, so it’s nice to find someone who has that in common!

You MUST come visit the east coast. I’ve never been the the west coast. Maybe we should do a trading houses adventure some day!

7. Kelly
    March 16th, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

I loved being the middle child growing up and still get along with my sisters better than they get along with each other. I started reading because we shared the same wedding photographer and I love the way you write :)

Sally Reply:

I remember when you used Travis! I’m glad you stuck around with me!

8. Sarah Averett
    March 16th, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

I loved this post! It’s always fun to get to know the person behind the blog a bit more. I started reading because I was a newlywed military wife and needed someone I could relate to. Now I’m hooked :) I’m an outdoors lovin’, bargain shoppin’, junk food lovin’, small town girl and I enjoy every second of it. Thanks for sharing!

Sally Reply:

So nice to meet you! It sounds like he have a lot in common :)

9. Gigi
    March 18th, 2012 @ 2:27 pm

Nice to meet you, Sal! ;)

10. jae
    March 19th, 2012 @ 8:24 am

i love that taylor added you and all the cute freshmen on facebook! it’s hilarious and awesome all at the same time. well, when you’re meant to be, you’re meant to be!

fact about me: i scoff at those chain emails with all the warnings about things (“check your toilet for snakes”, “don’t use your cellphone while it’s charging”, etc…), but secretly i always wonder if i should follow their advice. ahh, the niggling paranoia that follows a chain letter. i also never forward them unless it’s hilarious enough to make me laugh out loud. and no, “lol”ing doesn’t count.

Sally Reply:

Haha oh my, everytime I read one of those that says, “If you don’t forward this email to fifty-seven people in the next ten minutes something horrible will happen to you,” I secretly get nervous.

11. Maia G
    March 23rd, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

I loved learning more about you! I’m from NE Missouri :)

• I'm a twenty-something mama to two little boys and married to the love of my life. Former Diet Coke addict with a tendency to overshare. My biggest dream is to write a book. A good book that tons of people buy and relate to and love. In the mean time, this is the story of us as we flounder through raising our wild, little boys, moving a million times thanks to the US Army, and buying and renovating our 1968 Ranch home."

• Exploits of a Military Mama