Move-in Ready

Posted on | May 1, 2012 | 12 Comments

It was a long weekend in these parts. We loaded up Friday morning and headed to North Carolina where we met my mom. After a quick kiss and letting the boys run around for a minute, we loaded them back up into her car and sent them to South Carolina. Then, Tay and I got to work. We worked from about 5:00PM to passed midnight on the house. There was so much to get done that it was almost overwhelming (okay, it was totally overwhelming). Our goal was to finish the backsplash, hang cabinet doors, do some transitions, and lots and lots of cleaning. Our garage was filled top to bottom with old carpet and trash. It was horrible, and I’m quite certain our neighbors hated us.

By the end of the night, more transitions were done and the backsplash was grouted and caulked. That bitch took me over four whole hours. It was ridiculously slow moving, but it was done. We got up early the next morning. We had rented a U-haul for the day, but the dump was only open until noon and we couldn’t pick up the truck until 8:00AM. So, that gave us exactly four hours to make as many trips as possible to the dump with all the nastiness the previous owners left us. Lovely. But somehow we managed. Tay was a rockstar loading and unloading all the trash himself. I continued to work on cleaning the inside of the house, and a girlfriend of mine came to help with some painting (thank you, Laura!).

And now? The house is ready to move into, and I’m ready to give you an almost full tour. I say almost because I forgot to snap a final picture of our bonus room and garage, but this will do for now.

Welcome to our foyer. Please ignore the door hanging around in the hallway. It will go up once Tay can finish the closet transitions. They are the last to go. We still have to paint and change out the light fixture here as well as trim up the floor boards.

To your left, you’ll see our formal living room. It still needs paint, trim, new hardware on the fireplace, a new light fixture, window treatments, and fixin’s in the window seat.

To your right is our dining room. We already have a light fixture for it, but we will have to paint the walls and built-ins, replace the old fixture with a new one, put up window treatments, and add trim.

Through the dining room, you have our kitchen. We are thrilled with how far that we’ve gotten with the work, but there is still quite a bit to go. We need to trim with baseboards and quarter round, install the fridge/washer/dryer, paint trim, and decorate (the fun part!).

Now, let me take you back to the back of the house. I’ll introduce you to our guest bathroom (aka, the bain of Taylor’s existence). Tay hates this bathroom. I think it’s kind of adorable. It’s 100% original from the 60s.

If it was in better shape, I would try to talk Tay into letting us keep it for awhile. Unfortunately, tiles are starting to look a bit rough, and the vanity, mirror, and lighting have all seen better days. It’s next on the list for a gut job.

Now, here’s the hall way. Lovely. Lots of paint, new fixtures, and trim needs to happen in here soon.

The wooden wonder of a guest room has received a half-hearted prime job. We ran out of time to do much more. Clearly, it will need to be primed and painted as well as get new light fixtures, window treatments, and trim.

The boy’s room needs paint, lighting, trim, and eventually a built-in book shelf system. I guess I’m missing a picture of their room as well, so here’s our master. It still needs paint and trim as well as window treatments.

And finally, our Master bath. It apparently underwent a lovely 1980s renovation, and it will need gutting eventually. Fortunately, everything is in good condition, so we will make it work until we save up enough for it. It will probably be a few years before we tackle it.

So, there you have it! We have TONS of work left to do, but we can finally move in without worrying about our children living in a wasteland. I’m so thrilled when how much has been finished before move in day. We’re packing up this week, and we’ll be out of Virginia on Saturday. I can’t wait.

Comments

12 Responses to “Move-in Ready”

1. Jill
    May 1st, 2012 @ 11:14 am

woohoo!!!

2. Verna
    May 1st, 2012 @ 11:19 am

Looks great! It’s amazing how much stuff you want to change once you start looking closely. Sigh. The kitchen looks amazing! Taylor did a great job on all the floors too! I can’t wait to do ours! We painted half the rooms and I already can’t stand most of them. Sigh, again. Oh well. It’ll work for now, and the rooms we painted look a lot better than they did when we moved in.

3. erica
    May 1st, 2012 @ 11:47 am

GREAT JOB!!! Looks amazing and will look even better once you get to decorate! Good luck moving!

4. Gigi
    May 1st, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

Some paint, and then just to add the fluff…it is going to be AMAZING! Love it!

5. Caitlin MidAtlantic
    May 1st, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

The kitchen looks fantastic!! Everything else will fall into place with some furniture, time and love :)

6. Mrs 1st Lt
    May 1st, 2012 @ 1:20 pm

hooray! all of those paint colors are original? b/c i um actually like the way the dining room is painted with the red insets….

lol do you need any help this weekend?

Sally Reply:

They are original. I don’t hate the red, but they do make the room look pretty dark. We’re trying to young it up a little as the previous owners were in their 60s ;)

I think we’ll be okay for this weekend. Both our parents are coming on different days so we have help. Come by when it’s fun!

7. Kacia
    May 1st, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

ohmygoodness: It looks FABULOUS!!!! I love it!! Those built ins in your dining room are amazing! + I can’t wait to see the kitchen when it’s all finished!!! WOO HOOOOOO!!!!

8. Ashley Hlavaty
    May 1st, 2012 @ 3:41 pm

So exciting!!! I love the floors, the built-ins in the dining room, and especially the kitchen! That color!! And I can totally tell the lighting is great now. Your pictures turned out so well – a big difference from before you changed the lighting! Great job, and congrats!

9. lauren
    May 1st, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

you guys have done an amazing job!! Those floors are gorgeous! And you have totally made me have house fever…too bad we will need to find a hidden stash of cash to afford anything in our area of DC! Good luck with the move this weekend!

10. Kay Meadows
    May 1st, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

It looks fabulous – such an exciting time in your life, so savor every minute. I have a small house warming present for you. Not much, but I think you’re gonna love it. Take care and keep up the good work!

11. Jamie
    May 4th, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

Your house looks great! I think we have the same sink as the one in your guest bath. Man, I can’t wait to rip that one out.

• I'm a twenty-something mama to two little boys and married to the love of my life. Former Diet Coke addict with a tendency to overshare. My biggest dream is to write a book. A good book that tons of people buy and relate to and love. In the mean time, this is the story of us as we flounder through raising our wild, little boys, moving a million times thanks to the US Army, and buying and renovating our 1968 Ranch home."

• Exploits of a Military Mama